Saturday, January 31, 2009

a {book}room of one's own

i have a dream.
i dream of a space all for me.
this space will include, but not be limited to the following:

  • books.
  • windows with pastoral, bucolic, boreal, or oceanic scapes.
  • light {of the natural kind}.
  • 18th-century desk like this one.

  • as seen on domino


  • typewriter.
  • computer.
  • quill, parchment, and ink.
  • fainting couch.
  • fireplace.
  • a bosom-enhancing dress with coquettish lace collar.
  • an eclectic selection of music ranging from Ulrich Snaush to Frédéric Chopin.
  • an enviable collection of port, brandy, and scotch.
  • a replenished [by my butler, of course] tray of cheeses, crackers, jams, fruits, petie fours, and chocolates.
  • bright blooms of peony and bells of ireland - or an abundance of whatever is in bloom.
  • a camera/photography station.

oh how i dream.
in fact, every night as i sit on the side of my bed lotioning my winter skin, i see a collection of pictures from many who also foster this dream for me. a smartly-dressed female on a ladder amidst stacks of books, an owl sitting on an open book, a card that tells me of my dreams...and i sigh, close my eyes, and wish.

and even if it never comes to fruition, at least i have been with my wish every night - and no economy or disappointment can ever take that away.

while we're on the subject,
i also dream of rooms and rooms of books. i think people used to call them librarys and i want one in my home. in my internet wanderings, i have stumbled upon some really dreamy pictures of what i like to call bookrooms.

above and below courtesy of David Tsay Photography as seen on SFGirl




see some of my flickr favorites for desks that would suffice in my dream...

a room of one's own: compilation one

1. 2007-09-13 - Paris - Louvre - Writing Desk, 2. Writing Desk, 3. Jules Verne's writing desk, 4. I want this writing desk

Created with fd's Flickr Toys.


a room of one's own: compilation two

1. My Writing Desk, 2. me and my writing desk, 3. sunny nook 4. writing desk


le sigh trios.
perchances....
mme.

2 comments:

salty silver said...

we have the same library dreams! we will have our dreams someday, i'm sure of it, because we must.

Melissa said...

I want zebra seated room with the heavily wooded (and foggy) view.

I belong in the mountains. I am SO in the wrong place.