Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I was wrong about NPM. Shakespeare forgives me.

Since I was COMPLETELY mistaken about National Poetry Month being in May (it's actually April and I totally missed it), I feel a bit sheepish about my blunder. I have decided, however, that the whole mishap should not deter me from sharing my favorite poems of all time as I originally set out to do.

Today I want to share one of my three favorite (because I memorized them in HS and still know them) Shakespearean Sonnets.

Sonnet 116
William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
Oh no! It is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to ever wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, though his height be taken.
Love's not times fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within its bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ; nor no man ever loved.


to the very edge of doom indeed,
mme. bookling

do you have a favorite sonnet?

4 comments:

Allisunny S. said...

That very sonnet was the one i chose to have read in my wedding ceremony: it moves me more than I can even express.

candacemorris said...

uh that is weird.
because me too.

it was read at my wedding...

:)

Unknown said...

I am obsessed with Shakespeare's Sonnets, I even wrote a song using the words from the curious dedication at the beginning. You know:

To. the. only. begetter...

: )

Unknown said...

with all my heart, i confess that i was introduced to that sonnet via jane austen, via sense and sensibility - THE FILM!

so there.